Picture of the Week

Picture of the Week
sigh....

Monday, September 14, 2009

Musings caused by Jon and Dorothea strolling in NYC

I got this picture in my Google alerts and had to comment on it. First, I don't know how any one man can look that good with a scruffy face, but he pulls it off beautifully. And those of you that know me, know I'm sitting here with drool running down my chin at the whole scruff thing......

Secondly, the caption with the picture set my brain into musing mode ... "Rock legend Jon Bon Jovi strolls in New York City with his wife of twenty years Dorothea Hurley. The couple have four children -- Stephanie Rose, 16, Jesse James, 14, Jacob Hurley, 7, and Romeo Jon, 5. "

Twenty years. They've been married 20 years. Now that was no surprise to me back in April when they celebrated their 20th, but today it hit me that 20 years ago I was already a fan and had been for a couple years (I didn't discover them until LOAP was on MTV and I got a good look at the lead guitarist, which later gave way to those blue eyes and the charisma that is Jon and is probably the basis of why I sway between them). At that point in my life I'd already graduated college, moved to Florida and was a married woman myself.

Sixteen years ago. They had Stephanie Rose on May 31st and a friend of mine at the time was pregnant with her first child, with a due date within days of Stephanie's. It was also 16 years ago that I finally saw Bon Jovi live for the first time in Tampa on my mother's birthday (she did forgive me for that, eventually). Keep the Faith tour. There's something about that band live that hooks you for good and insinuates itself into the fabric of your being.

Fourteen years ago. Jesse James was born on February 19th, same day as my late brother's birthday. These Days came out in the stores and it is in the top three of my favorite records the guys ever released. The best review I've ever read of that album came from Anthony Kuzminski, it's well worth the read. He puts into words all of the feelings I've had about that particular work of art and would never be able to manage.

Seven years ago. Jacob Hurley was born on May 7th. Jon did a stint on Ally McBeal. My husband passed away and Bounce brought me out of my stupor. I joined the Street Team, Backstage and met a lot of awesome women that have since become some of my closest friends. The words "count me out, count me in, I'll be bouncing back again" were my mantra during that time and my cat Bounce came into my life via friends that knew I needed something to remind me to keep bouncing. She does, everyday.

Five years ago. Romeo Jon joined the world on March 29th. By that time I was bouncing with vigor. I'd attended a small number of concerts, no where near the number some of my friends have seen and I'll never approach that number. Still five years ago, was when HAND was released, during which tour I met some of those friends in person at Giants Stadium. One of which moved to Florida from Scotland recently, married and on Saturday is having the ceremony for friends and family that didn't attend the quicky, spur of the moment wedding on July 4th.

Today. We're all waiting for The Circle to come out, tour dates to be announced and looking forward to what the next twenty years brings with it. I wouldn't change one moment of it (except losing my best friend and husband) and Jon Bon Jovi still looks as handsome and sexy as he did back in the late 80s when I first fell in lust with him. As for Dorothea, she's probably the luckiest woman alive, although, I don't think I'd want to deal with her husband's legendary temper.

0 comments:

THE FAN FICTION DIRECTORY

The generous Goddess Hathor has compiled a Directory of FF for all of us devoted to the genre.

If you have a story that's not listed, she'd be happy to add it!

Random Shots

Random Shots
JazzFest

About This Blog

Welcome to my site.

Here you’ll find my musings on a number of topics. You’ll see everything from sports, to orchids, cats to daily grumblings and even some comments and reflections on life in general.

  © Blogger template 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP